Re: [h-e-w] Side-by-side file differences util?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Side-by-side file differences util?
Date: 21 Mar 2002 22:56:49 +0000

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> Has anyone implemented a side-by-side file differences utility in
> emacs?

You mean like ediff? (Tools -> Compare (ediff) -> ...)

Requires a Unix-like "diff" program, see the FAQ for pointers to
Unix-like tools for use with Emacs.

> By this I mean I'd like two adjacent frames, side-by-side,
> with file A in the left frame and file B in the right.

I'm sure ediff can be coerced into using separate frames for
file A and file B.  The default configuration is file A above file B,
but this can be changed by customizing `ediff-split-window-function'.
It is easy to make it use two side by side windows within a single
frame, which might be close enough to what you want.

> Differences between the two files would be highlighted,
Yes, and to a finer degree than any other diff tool I have ever seen.

> and there would be some way to jump to the next/prev difference
"Space", "Backspace"

> make the left look like the right or vice versa, etc.

--
Jason Rumney