Re: [h-e-w] emacs backup files under CVS folders

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacs backup files under CVS folders
Date: 19 Mar 2002 22:19:16 +0000

"Leveille, John" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a question about emacs backup files.  I figured out how to turn off
> backup file creation in emacs, but when I edit files in my CVS-controlled
> folders it still creates backups.

If they are of the format "FILENAME.~VERSION~", then they are not
backup files, they are the files produced by the CVS VC backend to
optimize performance on remote repositories.  See the variable
`vc-cvs-stay-local'.  If you checkin from inside Emacs, then those
files will be automatically removed.  If you always use CVS from
outside of Emacs, then you might as well set vc-cvs-stay-local to nil,
since you are not using any of its benefits.

If they are of the format ".#FILENAME.VERSION", then they are the
files left behind by CVS when commands fail.

--
Jason Rumney