[h-e-w] emacs and eclipse

From: Tom Roche
Subject: [h-e-w] emacs and eclipse
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:42:38 -0500

What is "the best way" to setup emacs as an external editor for
eclipse? What I mean:

I'm working on an eclipse

http://www.eclipse.org/

plugin, but I still use emacs

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

for all but the most trivial file-editing. Despite the fact that the
two tools don't really "know about each other," this has worked well
enough, using Refresh From Local in eclipse and M-x revert-buffer in
emacs.

However I'd prefer better integration of the tools. I see, in the
eclipse Workbench User Guide/Tasks/Organizing Workbench/Specifying
File Editors, the procedure for "[associating a] file type with an
editor external to the workbench." But when I associate emacs with
.java, I get a new emacs for each file opened from eclipse.

How do I make eclipse

* open a file in a currently-running emacs, if one exists

* open a new emacs instance on a file if there is not one currently
  running

? I suspect this has something to do with gnuclient*, but I've never
previously set that up, since I always have emacs in my startup :-)

FWIW I'm using a self-hosting eclipse based on the 0214 build, GNU
emacs 21.1 (though I also have XEmacs 21.4 (patch 6) for cygwin
available), and w2k sp1.

TIA, Tom Roche <address@hidden>