Re: [h-e-w] Version Control and Emacs 21.1/Win2K

From: Michael Campbell
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Version Control and Emacs 21.1/Win2K
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:05:04 -0800 (PST)

I hate to hijack a thread, but it's almost even relevant.

My company is currently using Clearcase with its multisite module,
and it's bloody awful.  Our shop is set up in such a way that we have
development centers in various places in the US, Middle East, and
Europe/UK.

The "replicated VOB" strategy that clearcase uses is slow (for us),
and very, very sensitive to network outages, which we seem to suffer
a lot of.

I was wondering if anyone could reply (privately, probably, as this
is not emacs specific) with recommendations for or against some SCM
type tools to manage code:

- works with emacs (nice to have, not strictly necessary)

- over large distances

- in parallel (we are developing multiple versions of our software
simultaneously)

- can run on wintel boxen

- is reasonably robust with respect to slow networks and/or outages
(i.e. if one center "goes down", it won't prevent others from
checking in/out, making changes, etc.)

Many thanks.

=====
--