RE: [h-e-w] ange-ftp broken in 21.1?

From: Randy Kerber
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] ange-ftp broken in 21.1?
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:37:16 -0800

Greetings,

I had a bunch of trouble getting ange-ftp working with one of my ISPs
(emacs 21.1.1, win2000 sp2).  To get it to work, I had to use the
function call (ange-ftp-add-dumb-unix-host "users.isp1.net").  This
appears to force the use of "dir" for directory listings rather than
"ls".

The command "ls" with no arguments would not list directories, only
files; "ls /" was attempting to list the root directory of the machine
rather than the root of my home ftp directory; "ls -l", on the other
hand, worked correctly; "dir /" would correctly list contents of home
directory.  There were several other inconsistent behaviors.  When I
called tech support at the ISP they initially said that it sounds like I
found some problems, then later they came back with "we talked to the
engineers some more and they discovered that that's the way it's
supposed to be".  I'm sure that's a load of B.S., but it was my word
against theirs.

Is there an accepted FTP standard as to what commands like "ls /" and
"ls" are supposed to return?  I'd like to be able to refer to a website
that backs me up when I call tech support again.

Here's what I needed in my .emacs to get ftp to work:

;;-----------------------------------------------------------
(custom-set-variables
 '(ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:/winnt/system32/ftp.exe")
 < many other non-ftp customizations... >
 )

(ange-ftp-set-passwd "users.isp1.net" "me" "myFTPpassword")
(ange-ftp-set-passwd "userftp.isp2.net" "me" "otherPassword")

(ange-ftp-add-dumb-unix-host "users.isp1.net")

Randy Kerber

Data Mining Consultant
 -- software development & data analysis