Re: [h-e-w] Version Control and Emacs 21.1/Win2K

From: Paul Rudin
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Version Control and Emacs 21.1/Win2K
Date: 04 Mar 2002 14:29:03 +0000

 CL> Any recommendations for version control using Emacs Win2K? I have
 CL> been using Component Software RCS, but I am not sure I like that
 CL> it keeps popping up all kinds of windows dialog boxes for common
 CL> actions. Is there something that integrates better? This is just
 CL> for my own source control, not for group editing.

 CL> However, speaking that, if I set up CVS on one of my linux boxes,
 CL> can I create and use a repository for editing when I am using
 CL> Win2K? Will I have problems when I am offline/travelling or do I
 CL> just check out all files before I leave (my win2k and primary
 CL> environment is on a laptop and, as you can tell, I am new to
 CL> version control).

I use cvs and it works fine and integrates well with emacs. It's worth
using pcl-cvs (which comes as standard with emacs 21, but no with 20)
as well as the VC stuff.

You can have a repository on a server somewhere, or if it's just for
your own use, use can keep the repository on the machine that you're
working on - that way you have access to your repository even if you
are sometime without access to your servers.

You can work perfectly well without permentant access to your
repository, but some of the things that are nice about using cvs won;t
be available when the repository is not available.

--
I hope something GOOD came in the mail today so I have
 a REASON to live!!