Re: [h-e-w] ange-ftp broken in 21.1?

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ange-ftp broken in 21.1?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:27:54 +0000

Stephen Bardsley wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I recently upgraded from emacs 20.7 to 21.1.
>
> I am a big fan of ange-ftp, and have come to depend on it,
> but it does not seem to work for me in 21.1.  It's fine in
> 20.7.  I am running Windows2000.
>
> I get the following message in the emacs minibuffer:
>
>   apply: Spawning child process: invalid argument
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would suggest trying removing or ignoring all ange-ftp specific
customization and ensuring that the standard Microsoft ftp program is
the one being used.  That arrangement seems to work well for me,
although I'm running Win NT not 2K.  Actually, there might be a small
bug in 21.1 that is fixed in the pretest that I am running, but the bug
I was aware of previously (and I can't remember exactly when) was not
insuperable.

Francis