Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.2.?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.2.?
Date: 21 Feb 2002 21:53:17 +0000

"Daniel Hegyi" <address@hidden> writes:

> I read that minor releases would come out more frequently than they
> used to.

I don't know where you read that. Minor releases are released as
needed, as they always have been. 20.2 was released within days of
20.1, because a major bug was found that warranted another
release, 20.7 was released shortly after 20.6 and 20.5 for the same
reason.  21.2 has not been released yet because there has been no
single bug reported for 21.1 that screams "release a bugfix now!",
just a trickle of smaller bugs.

> I'm "still" using 20.7 and so far I haven't found compelling reasons
> to upgrade to 21.1. What new features are planned for the next release?

None. 21.2 is a bugfix release, currently in pretesting (this was
planned as a bugfix release, since it was expected that a major update
of the display engine would have some bugs. I think more bugs were
expected than were actually found, otherwise it would have been
released earlier).

21.3 will probably include new features, including tooltip support on
Windows, but there is currently no plan of when that will be released,
and if a show-stopper is found after 21.2 is released, there is always
the possibility of another bugfix release being made, pushing new
features out to 21.4 or beyond.

If you want features above stability, there is always CVS.

--
Jason Rumney