[h-e-w] FW: Niggling file problems

From: Hollingdale, Dave
Subject: [h-e-w] FW: Niggling file problems
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:03:04 -0000

> Hi,
>       Thanks for your replies,
> echo > TEST
>  does in fact produce a file TEST on my C: drive but test on my E: drive,
> so this seems to be a Samba problem
>
> I am sorry but I find I misled you as to my second problem:-
>
> When I edit E:/a/b/c/filename from emacs, I had assumed it had picked up
> /a/b/c/filename because it is read-only and the one under my E: drive is
> writable. I have just found the emacs command 'toggle-read-only', I used
> this, changed the file and wrote the file out correctly, so the problem
> was not that the wrong file was being picked up, but that the mode in
> which it was picked up is read-only instead of writable.
>
> As for my final problem with using abbreviations for filepaths, I suppose
> I will have to rename the find-file function and attempt some lisp to pass
> a converted filepath to it. What I am hoping to do is find a way of
> including say a # character into the find-file function so that it invoked
> an abbreviation list lookup and substituted the filepath e.g. my1#
> filename could become
> /address@hidden:/users/someone/very/long/path/name/filename
>
> Thanks
>       Dave Hollingdale

Disclaimer:

Internet communications are not secure and therefore SSI does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message.  Statements of fact are not
binding unless confirmed by letter signed by an authorised signatory of SSI.
Any views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of SSI unless explicitly stated