Re: [h-e-w] Problems with ange ftp

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problems with ange ftp
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:40:14 +0000

"Milliken, Peter" wrote:

> Interesting. I have *never* seen this particular problem :-). I use 21.1,
> Win2000 Pro and bash/ftp from the Cygwin collection. I use ange-ftp *all*
> the time as all of the files I edit are on a VMS box that isn't NFS mounted
> etc, so you could say I was a frequent user :-).
>
> What environment do you guys use? I am happy to share my .emacs settings if
> you like, there must be some difference somewhere that explains this
> behaviour....

I'm running NT4 SP 6a and the standard MS ftp client.  (I have Cygwin
but I don't use it for ftp.)  I'm accessing various UNIX/Linux ftp
servers.  I suspected a problem at the server end, but yesterday I
accessed the same server from NT Emacs 21.1 and the current 21.2
pretest.  The former failed with a directory listing of a single file
whereas the latter opened the file, as I wanted, and as happened before
I hit the problem.  So, I guess the problem was a fairly long-standing
bug/misfeature in 21.1 and perhaps 20 (I can't remember that far
back!).  Anyway, as far as I am concerned the problem is fixed.

Maybe Linux ftp daemons changed about a year ago and Emacs has just
caught up.  Just a thought.  In fact, this comment appears in the
pretest version of ange-ftp.el but not in 21.1:

;;; With today's ftp servers on Unix and GNU systems,
;;; it appears to be impossible to tell from the result
;;; of the directory listing whether the argument is a directory.
;;; This appears to be true even in Emacs 20.7

Francis