Re: [h-e-w] ange-ftp was working, now reports DIR failed: usage: error

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ange-ftp was working, now reports DIR failed: usage: error
Date: 22 Jan 2002 21:36:07 +0000

egcord <address@hidden> writes:

> Ange-ftp under NT emacs 21.1.1 was working fine for me, but now always
> reports
>
>  ange-ftp-error: FTP Error: DIR failed: Usage: ls remote directory local
> file
>
> with messages like the following in the ftp buffer:
>
> ls "-al /." c:/Documents and Settings/myname/Local
> Settings/Temp/ange-ftp1364knI
> Usage: ls remote directory local file.
>

> I can't think of anything that has changed, except for the passage of a day.
>
> Any ideas as to what's wrong?

It looks like the spaces in your temp directory are at fault. Since it
worked before, I guess some other program has changed the TEMP or TMP
environment variable.

Possible solutions include adding quotes around the environment
variable, changing the environment variable to something more
sensible, or to override it by setting temporary-file-directory in
your .emacs

--
Jason Rumney