Re: [h-e-w] nice free true type fonts

From: Robert Praetorius
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] nice free true type fonts
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:21:49 +1100

> Now that NT Emacs can use them, can somebody suggest a nice free
> mono-spaced true-type font? A Google search didn't give many options,
> and the one I'm using now (Lucida Console) didn't appear.

     I went looking for monospaced fonts some time ago and found this,
titled "Robert Crooks' Fixed-Width Fonts Page":

        http://www.aliveonline.com/homesite/fonts.shtml

I don't think this has been updated recently, and many fonts are either not
TrueType or
not free, but it's a good starting point.  Googling for the title of this page
got me
(in 2 hops) to

        http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/

which has sample screenshots and reviews and appears to be much more recent.

     I settled some time ago on a highly idiosyncratic combination of colors
centered
around amber on black (which I find the least stressful arrangement on CRTs)
along with
FixedSys, Terminal, Lucida Console and Courier New, two of which ain't TrueType
- and
Terminal (aka 8514oemt.fo_, or Terminal Font for the IBM 8514) isn't
ISO-8859-1, so it
requires some trickery to get it displayed in Emacs 21.1.

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,