Re: [h-e-w] plink ntemacs21 woes: got it working!

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] plink ntemacs21 woes: got it working!
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:59:14 +0530

> <address@hidden> Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:09:33 +0530
> > I'm unable to get plink working from within Ntemacs. I get the
> > following lines in plink/messages buffer
>
> | Unable to open connection:
> | Connection refused
> | Process plink-sivaramn@<hostname> exited abnormally with code 1
>
> | ---
> | let: Symbol's function definition is void: telnet-mode
>
> > I followed the instructions put up by Tom Rosche on his website
with
> > the lisp code added to my _emacs file. I'm able to do a telnet
thru
> > putty but not thru plink in emacs.
>
> I've also noticed this problem with newer versions of 'plink'. I
have
> intended to bring this matter to the attention of the PuTTY folks
> (e.g. via
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/feedback.html
>
> ) but I haven't had time. (I've been looking for work.)
>
> My suggestions are:
>
> * Try using the Cygwin SSH instead. My plink work was only
intended as
>   a workaround for boxes on which one couldn't install Cygwin. Can
you
>   do this? For more assistance, see Mark Hershberger's
instructions

>   http://mah.everybody.org/docs/tramp-on-nt
>
>   and also search the tramp archive
>
>   http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/15302/0/
>
>   for posts regarding Cygwin.
>
> * Try working with the PuTTY folks to fix plink. It would be very
nice
>   to have a working non-Cygwin (esp MinGW) way to do tramp from
NT/2k.

> * Try posting to the Tramp list (this is CCed), which has listfolk
>   experienced with these issues on many platforms (including M$).
>
> HTH, address@hidden

I'm able to run plink from within emacs now and I want to share with
you what I did.
I dont know whether it's the right thing either.
I changed
;;;;;;;;
(setq plink-program "plink")
(defun plink-ssh (host)
  "Open a ssh (secure shell) connection. See `plink'."
  (interactive "sOpen ssh connection (address@hidden): ")
  (plink host "-telnet"))  <---- changed from "-ssh"

& so when i giveM-x plink-ssh,after entering address@hidden & passwd,
I get a login prompt within an emacs buffer.  I enter my userid and
passwd again
and i get the % prompt within the emacs buffer. It works like any
other telnet session
except that all cmds are locally echoed. That's including my passwd
when i login in the buffer!

Now, is this the expected behaviour? Can i now move on to installing
Tramp?
BTW i still get
let: Symbol's function definition is void: telnet-mode

regards,
sivaram