Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95
Date: 04 Jan 2002 23:36:50 -0500

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Should dired refuse to launch Word on a .doc file, because
> it might contain a virus?

How do you get dired to launch Word?

I tried "! ms-word".  It didn't work.

I tried "! start".  It *did* work, but since it was an
inferior (pun intended) process, it didn't release emacs
until I exited the child(ish) process.

[...]

> Better would be a "virus filter" that Gnus can run before
> opening attachments.  Or can I do that from the Windows
> side? I used to have McAffee set up to scan any executable
> before it ran; I don't know if that works now for Word
> files.

You don't need to attach it to emacs, it should already be
attached to the underlying file system.  It's not like Word
is reading STDIN or anything so Unix-ish.  It saved a file
for me in:
   c:/window/temp/emm.-4051883a8d/resume.doc
  [how generated? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ different each time!!!]

before opening it in Word.  Writing that temporary file
should trigger your sane virus scanner.

~/.mailcap contained only 2 non-comment lines:

image/*;        start %s
application/*;  start %s

[Disclaimer & OTS - I'm not sure I have a sane one virus
scanner.  Ever since McAfee went *online*, and became more
interested in disguising it's sales stuff under buttons that
look like control buttons, I'm never sure.  Sleazy
(non?-)service providers.]

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!