Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95
Date: 04 Jan 2002 21:22:33 +0000

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> > 4) Is there a *standard* set of associations that can work right out
> > of the box so that I don't have to code the "obvious" associations
> > into my ~/.mailcap file to make stuff work? Perhaps it could refer
> > to the existing file associations already set up on Windows 95?
>
> That's what 'application/*; start "" %s' should do.

I wouldn't recommend that. You will end up giving Emacs the same
security level that Outlook shipped with by default two years ago. I
think even Outlook has tightened up its security since then, and now
forces you to save executable content rather than running it directly.

You should explicitly list only content types you know will be safe
(image/* should be fine, and maybe text/*; I'm not sure if ms-word
macro viruses come through as text/ms-word or application/ms-word though).

--
Jason Rumney