[h-e-w] Cursor repositioning on shell output

From: Stuart Ritchie
Subject: [h-e-w] Cursor repositioning on shell output
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 16:39:58 -0800

Greetings!  I'm seeing some strange behavior when using NTemacs 21.1.1
and cygwin-1.3.6 shells (both bash and tcsh exhibit this problem).

;; maximize lines on screen when scrolling new output for shell
(setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t)

Now why the heck does the cursor not follow the output?  More often
than not, if I type even something simple like "ls" with perhaps three lines of output, the cursor repositions itself to the middle line of the buffer window and the output continues off-screen below. I keep having to hit M-> to show me the output and position the cursor back on the shell command line. Very annoying!

This worked correctly in my previous installation of NTemacs, which
was 20.x...

So if I disable the above flag, then everything works correctly but I no longer see maximum-output in the shell buffers (as expected).

Here's my shell setup commands in my .emacs:

;; ------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; For the interactive shell
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/dev/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")
;; For subprocesses invoked via the shell (e.g., "shell -c command")
(setq shell-file-name "c:/dev/cygwin/bin/sh.exe")

(setenv "SHELL" "bash.exe")
(setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")
(setq shell-command-switch "-i")

;; Shell completion now will complete dirs with "/" rather than "\"
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          '(lambda () (setq comint-completion-addsuffix t))
          t)

;; maximize lines on screen when scrolling new output for shell
(setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t)

Thanks all for your help!
--Stuart