Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?
Date: 21 Dec 2001 12:54:29 -0500

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> <snip>
> Yes, this sounds very useful.  However, by UI, I'm not just talking
> about screen layout.  I also mean the metaphor of having mail messages
> that are always visible when you open a folder, having 'delete'
> instead of 'expire', etc.

In Gnus, if you type '*' while viewing a message, it is not expired
and remains visible.

In Gnus, messages are deleted automatically after a programable time.
In Netscape and other mail readers I've used, "delete" just moves them
to a special folder named "trash", which you have to manually empty.

Yes, they are slightly different metaphors. I prefer Gnus :).

> <snip>
>
> Re/ Jason's comment:  My apologies if I've breached some list rules or
> etiquette.  Personally, I don't understand how suppressing relevant
> information that is not fsf-blessed helps anyone, but I'll try to
> abide by the rules.

I did not find the mention of other programs objectionable; they were
not a sales pitch, just a mention of features that would be nice to
have in Gnus, or a mention of how to achieve functionality not
available in Gnus. I think that's appropriate. Although, maybe that
should be on a Gnus mailing list, rather than an Emacs one.

--
-- Stephe