Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: 19 Dec 2001 17:21:08 -0500

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> At 04:51 PM 12/19/2001, Karel Sprenger wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >At 15:32 19-12-01 -0500, Peter Davis wrote:
> >
> >>The seems to work, with a couple of caveats.  These are:
> >>
> >> 1) I kept getting void for ange-ftp-read-passwd.  Indeed, this
> >> function doesn't appear to be in ange-ftp.el.  So, I just
> >> defalias'ed it to read-passwd.  However, this prompts me for the
> >> password twice each time I check mail.  I'm sure there's a smarter
> >> way to do this, but I don't know what it is.  If anyone has a
> >> better idea, I'm open.
> >
> >I changed the pop3-read-passwd function in ep3m's pop3.el to:
> >
> >(defun pop3-read-passwd (prompt)
> >   (if (not pop3-read-passwd)
> >       (if (load "passwd" t)
> >           (setq pop3-read-passwd 'read-passwd)
> >         (cond ((= 19 emacs-major-version)
> >                (autoload 'ange-ftp-read-passwd "ange-ftp")
> >                (setq pop3-read-passwd 'ange-ftp-read-passwd))
> >               ((<= 20 emacs-major-version)
> >                ; read-passwd is defined in subr.el
> >                (message "Setting pop3-read-passwd")
> >                (setq pop3-read-passwd 'read-passwd)))))
> >   (funcall pop3-read-passwd prompt))
>
> Augh!  I tried changing this in my pop3.el (epop3 0.9.8), and now I'm
> back to getting
>
>          Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

Nope.  I lied.  This error didn't come from Karel's change to pop3.el.
It came from the fact that I byte-compiled the epop3mail files.  I
don't know why, but that broke something.  Leaving them as .el files
seems to work.

That said, Karel's change does seem to work, but I still get prompted
twice for my passwords.  Oh well.

-pd

--
--------