RE: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:07:28 -0500

At 04:51 PM 12/19/2001, Karel Sprenger wrote:
Hi,

At 15:32 19-12-01 -0500, Peter Davis wrote:

The seems to work, with a couple of caveats.  These are:

1) I kept getting void for ange-ftp-read-passwd. Indeed, this function doesn't appear to be in ange-ftp.el. So, I just defalias'ed it to read-passwd. However, this prompts me for the password twice each time I check mail. I'm sure there's a smarter way to do this, but I don't know what it is. If anyone has a better idea, I'm open.

I changed the pop3-read-passwd function in ep3m's pop3.el to:

(defun pop3-read-passwd (prompt)
  (if (not pop3-read-passwd)
      (if (load "passwd" t)
          (setq pop3-read-passwd 'read-passwd)
        (cond ((= 19 emacs-major-version)
               (autoload 'ange-ftp-read-passwd "ange-ftp")
               (setq pop3-read-passwd 'ange-ftp-read-passwd))
              ((<= 20 emacs-major-version)
               ; read-passwd is defined in subr.el
               (message "Setting pop3-read-passwd")
               (setq pop3-read-passwd 'read-passwd)))))
  (funcall pop3-read-passwd prompt))

Augh! I tried changing this in my pop3.el (epop3 0.9.8), and now I'm back to getting

        Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

And then I could read my mail with emacs 21 again (I also commented out the two defalias lines in epop3hash.el).

I've done this, or rather enclosed them in

(if (< emacs-major-version 21)
)

I still got problems with w3 though, so I still have to send this reply through Eudora. I'll post a solution that is working for me as soon as I have it ready.

I haven't found any use for w3 at all. I was able to post from Gnus before this last change.

-pd