Re: [h-e-w] Cant run ediff

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Cant run ediff
Date: 12 Dec 2001 20:19:36 -0500

"Bingham, Jay" <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> But without ever having looked at it I can see why I would never
> have thought to look there.  I am not interested in running bash, I
> am interested in running diff, that you have to run bash to run diff
> is not intuitively obvious.

Perhaps that's overstated, possibly because of my post.  Let me trim
it back a bit.  I agree that it's not intuitive to need "diff" to run
ediff or ediff-files or ediff-*, but I got the following message when
I tried to run them.  It's the best clue you've got that there's
something named "diff" that's needed but not found.

    Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

Granted, it's still not obviuos that diff is an external executable.

As for needing bash, that's the overstated part.  My solution
suggested bash, but that doesn't mean that it's required.  Other
solutions posted here make that clear.  All you need is to be able to
run "diff" from "emacs".  "bash" was just a (admitedly kludgy) way to
get that to happen.  "diff" was the *what*, "bash" was just a *how*.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!