Re: [h-e-w] Cant run ediff

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Cant run ediff
Date: 12 Dec 2001 09:47:00 -0500

Andreas Bernhard <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been forced to make the painful transition from a Unix to a Windows
> platform and am happily running windows emacs. If I run ediff via the emacs
> command line or from the pull-down menu I get the message: "no such file or
> directory ediff", although diff and ediff files do reside in my emacs/lisp
> directory. I have included that directory in the search path in my .emacs
> file: (setq load-path (cons  "c:/Program Files/emacs/lisp" load-path )). I am
> running 21.1.1
>
> What am I missing or doing incorrectly? Do I need to download additional
> files? Thank you for your assistance, Sincerely, AndyIII

Emacs ediff relies on an external program "diff" to do some of the
work. When I take my "diff" out of my path, I get the error message
"Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff". (note the
last word is "diff", not "ediff").

So I suspect this is your problem. You need to get a "diff" program.

One easy way to do this is to install the Cygwin tools, from
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/. This is a very complete and robust
set of Gnu and other tools. They all rely on a base DLL that emulates
some Unix functionality on top of Windows. For example, this permits
mounting directories, and allows Unix-style forward slash in paths.

Another choice is the mingw32 build of Gnu tools, from
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/. I have not tried those yet; they do
not use an emulation layer, so they are more "Windows-like". For
example, the tools require Windows-style back slash in paths (although
even Windows is allowing forward slash in some situations).

Good luck!

--
-- Stephe