[h-e-w] epstopdf not working in dired

From: Joe Riel
Subject: [h-e-w] epstopdf not working in dired
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:29:16 -0800

I frequently use the exclamation (!) in dired to execute the program epstopdf
on postscript files.
The epstopdf uses ghostscript to convert the file to a pdf. Today I updated my
ghostscript
from 7.00 to 7.03.  Now, running the command from dired gives the following
error message:

Converting dumb.ps to dumb.pdf .....  (122x88 mm) ... LoadLibrary: Can't load
gs dll.Can't initialize ghostscript, exiting ...

However, if I start a bash shell inside emacs and execute the command on the
file all is fine.
Any clues on what I should do or where I should look?

Thanks,

Joe Riel