Re: [h-e-w] migrating Outlook Express to gnus

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] migrating Outlook Express to gnus
Date: 03 Dec 2001 19:17:11 +0000

"Michael R. Wolf" <address@hidden> writes:

> > Configure the Exchange server to allow IMAP.  this will give you
> > automated pull in gnus using the nnimap backend.
>
> The word "server" makes me think that I might not have that on my
> laptop where I'm running Outlook Express.

Right. I was not sure exactly the scope of what you were trying to do.

> > Otherwise use BBDB in Emacs (bbdb.sourceforge.net), but I am not
> > sure if you can import from Outlook yet (there is an export filter
> > for outlook format included BBDB 2.32 though).
>
> I just took a cursory look at BBDB.  Does it come pre-compiled for
> WinDOS?

No. It is all elisp, so you can compile it by opening a dired buffer
on EMACS-DIR/site-lisp/bbdb (that is where I would suggest installing
the lisp files), marking all the *.el files, and pressing
Shift-B. IIRC one or two files in BBDB depend on XEmacs features, so
they might fail, but the rest of the files should compile cleanly.

You may need to restart Emacs after you have created the bbdb
subdirectory in site-lisp, so the loadpath is updated appropriately.

--
Jason Rumney