Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.1 Oddities

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.1 Oddities
Date: 28 Nov 2001 22:22:39 +0000

"Stephen (Montsaroff) Saroff" <address@hidden> writes:

> There are some oddities/changes in NT Emacs 21.1 which I can figure out
> how to change.
>
>       1. Unicode support seems to be missing.
Emacs 21.1 has very basic utf-8 support built in, but 20.7 had no
Unicode support whatsoever, so I don't know how you could think it is
missing compared to 20.7.

>          Under 20.7 using mule, I was able to get emacs
>          exported registry files as unicode and open
>          them using uft16
>
>          I don't find a Utf16 input mode on mule under 21.1
>          and can get the automatic recognition.
>
>          Anyone have any suggestions here.

Whatever you did to use utf16 on 20.7, you need to do to 21.1.
I guess you used Mule-UCS; the latest version should work with 21.1.

>       2. Setting fonts doesn't seem to entirely work as I
>          would exprect.
>
>          I use s-mouse-1 to change the size of a font (say)
>          and nothing happens.

There is a known bug that only iso8859-1 (Western) encoded fonts work
as the default ASCII font. Perhaps that is what you are seeing? What
is the exact font that you are selecting? Do other fonts (eg. Courier
New) work?

>       3. When I try and look at the current font with
>          describe-font, it says the default is the current
>          font for Ascii characters, but then returns No matching font.

Another bug. Thanks for pointing it out.

>       4. I no longer get a bell on errors (e.g. search failures)

Can you try to reproduce this with "emacs -q --no-site-file"? If the
bell works there, then go through your .emacs (and default.el and
site-start.el if you have them), to try to find what causes it.

>       5. I would like to change the width of fringes and can't
>          how to.

You can't in 21.1. The bitmaps that are printed there are hardcoded
and need 8 pixels of width. Probably in 21.3 something will be done
about this.

>       6. If I start with --iconic, emacs ignores -geometry arguements
>          and (setq default-frame-alist and set-frame position commands
>          in my .emacs).
>
>       7. Is there a way to override things such as default font,
>          and position globally (e.g. not in the .emacs file) or
>          does one have to build and dump .emacs

See the chapter "X Resources" in the Emacs manual. On Windows
resources are set in the registry.

>       8. Is there information as to the default order of loading
>          lisp sources when emacs starts up?

site-lisp/site-start.el is loaded first (unless "--no-site-file" is
specified) then ~/.emacs (unless "-q" or "--no-init-file" is specified)
then site-lisp/default.el (unless "-q" or "--no-init-file" is specified)

>       9. Is there a listing of what the default lisp sources do?

C-h p might be what you want?

--
Jason Rumney