[h-e-w] Emacs 21.1 Oddities

From: Stephen (Montsaroff) Saroff
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.1 Oddities
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:25:27 -0800

There are some oddities/changes in NT Emacs 21.1 which I can figure out
how to change.

        1. Unicode support seems to be missing.
           Under 20.7 using mule, I was able to get emacs
           exported registry files as unicode and open
           them using uft16

           I don't find a Utf16 input mode on mule under 21.1
           and can get the automatic recognition.

           Anyone have any suggestions here.

        2. Setting fonts doesn't seem to entirely work as I
           would exprect.

           I use s-mouse-1 to change the size of a font (say)
           and nothing happens.

           I think I could change things in the customize faces
           group, but again, I don't seem to get sizes to change

        3. When I try and look at the current font with
           describe-font, it says the default is the current
           font for Ascii characters, but then returns No matching font.

        4. I no longer get a bell on errors (e.g. search failures)

        5. I would like to change the width of fringes and can't
           how to.

        6. If I start with --iconic, emacs ignores -geometry arguements
           and (setq default-frame-alist and set-frame position commands
           in my .emacs).

        7. Is there a way to override things such as default font,
           and position globally (e.g. not in the .emacs file) or
           does one have to build and dump .emacs

        8. Is there information as to the default order of loading
           lisp sources when emacs starts up?

        9. Is there a listing of what the default lisp sources do?

I know that's a lot, but everytime I upgrade I go through this...

--
 Stephen Saroff-Montsaroff                      o o
 Swimming Bear Consulting                       (_)______o