RE: [h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell

From: Olivier . Jacquemin
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:41:19 +0100

Hello Karel,

The INFOPATH variable was indeed the source of the problem: thanks much !

Under Cygwin, my INFOPATH variable is indeed set to
"/usr:/cygdrive/d/emacs-21.1/info", which did not seem to please Emacs.  I
did not fully understand this, as I was already using an emacs-lisp
extension to convert Windows paths to/from Cygwin paths... but it was
version 0.1 of this file.  Upgrading to version 1.4.1 (your reference
below) fixes the problem, and it is not necessary to use the 'cygpath
--windows' work-around (that works fine also, anyway).

Many thanks again,

     _Olivier_

                    "Sprenger, Karel"

                    <address@hidden       To:     <address@hidden>,

                    .com>                         <address@hidden>
                    Sent by:                     cc:     <address@hidden>

                    help-emacs-windows-adm       Subject:     RE: [h-e-w] Info
not working when
                    address@hidden                    emacs started from Cygwin
shell

                    22/11/01 20:51

Hi,

Just looked at my own setup.  Under NT my INFOPATH variable is set to
"c:/emacs/info;c:/cygwin/usr/info;c:/usr/local/info", which I change to
"/emacs/info:/usr/info:/usr/local/info" when starting a Bash login shell by
having the line

INFOPATH=`cygpath --unix --path $INFOPATH`
in my ~/.bashrc file.  This is needed for cygwin's command-line info
program which doesn't grok the NT-ish INFOPATH value.

When I start NTemacs (21.1) from NT, info has no trouble using the INFOPATH
variable, but when I start it from the Bash shell, NTemacs gets confused.
Not that it starts up ange-ftp, but it simpy doesn't set
Info-directory-list. Info-default-directory-list looks OK, but contains
path names like c:/emacs/info and /usr/info.  A kludge would be to define
an alias for emacs in ~/.bashrc which undoes the earlier cygpath before
starting the real emacs. The following works for me:

alias emacs='INFOPATH=`cygpath --windows --path
$INFOPATH`;/emacs/bin/emacs'
BTW you definitely need Klaus Berndl's cygwin-mount.el if you don't have it
installed already.  You can download it from
http://paddington.ic.uva.nl/public/cygwin-mount.el.  It will convert cygwin
style paths on the fly to NT-ish paths using the cygwin mount information.

Cheers,
Karel