RE: [h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell

From: Sprenger, Karel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 20:51:50 +0100

Hi,

Just looked at my own setup.  Under NT my INFOPATH variable is set to "c:/emacs/info;c:/cygwin/usr/info;c:/usr/local/info", which I change to "/emacs/info:/usr/info:/usr/local/info" when starting a Bash login shell by having the line

INFOPATH=`cygpath --unix --path $INFOPATH`
in my ~/.bashrc file.  This is needed for cygwin's command-line info program which doesn't grok the NT-ish INFOPATH value.

When I start NTemacs (21.1) from NT, info has no trouble using the INFOPATH variable, but when I start it from the Bash shell, NTemacs gets confused.  Not that it starts up ange-ftp, but it simpy doesn't set Info-directory-list. Info-default-directory-list looks OK, but contains path names like c:/emacs/info and /usr/info.  A kludge would be to define an alias for emacs in ~/.bashrc which undoes the earlier cygpath before starting the real emacs. The following works for me:

alias emacs='INFOPATH=`cygpath --windows --path $INFOPATH`;/emacs/bin/emacs'
BTW you definitely need Klaus Berndl's cygwin-mount.el if you don't have it installed already.  You can download it from http://paddington.ic.uva.nl/public/cygwin-mount.el.  It will convert cygwin style paths on the fly to NT-ish paths using the cygwin mount information.

Cheers,
Karel

--
Karel Sprenger, solution architect
COMPAQ Computer B.V.

This is an e-mail message from Compaq Computer B.V. The information contained in this communication is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Use of this communication by others is prohibited. If the e-mail message was sent to you by mistake, please destroy it without reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person. We accept no liability for damage related to data and/or documents which are communicated by electronic mail.