Re: [h-e-w] Using Emacs for email

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Using Emacs for email
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:40:19 -0500

On  Nov 6, 2001, Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Nov 2001, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > I thought MUA stood for Mail User Agent, meaning the bit that
> > the user interacts with directly (presumably Emacs in this
> > case) as opposed to the bits (such as sendmail) that run
> > autonomously on servers.
>
> Then, if the MUA is the interface to mail, the MUA is Emacs.

MUA is in fact Mail User Agent which is the user's mail
program.  MTA is the Mail Transfer Agent which is the SMTP
server.  The MUA would in these cases be either VM, RMAIL,
Gnus, MH-E, etc.  Outlook, Eudora, Netscape are also MUAs.

The MUA is not Emacs for the same reason that Windows is a
not a MUA..

Howard