Re: [h-e-w] Using Emacs for email

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Using Emacs for email
Date: 05 Nov 2001 22:06:12 -0800

On Tue, 06 Nov 2001, address@hidden wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> I have some questions relating to using email and emacs. I am
> thinking of moving to emacs as my sole MUA,

Great choice!

> but I have some questions first.

Okay. I will answer for using Gnus.  Gnus is a newsreader and
mailreader in one.  It treats both news and mail in a
newsreaderly way.  I find it very powerful, rewarding and an
extreme pleasure to use.

> 0) Which documents are helpful to read about configuring emacs
>    email

There is a gnus tutorial.  http://my.gnus.org

You might want to start there.  If you are interested and decide
to read a bit, ping the group and I will try to help you along.
The thing about Gnus is that you need to understand how to use it
as a newsreader, even if you are only using it as a mail client,
because all of your reading and replying keystrokes are the same
for both news and mail.  Its how you retrieve and sort your mail
which is above and beyond a newsreader.  (ie, you have to set up
retrieval of your mail, as well as the rules for splitting your
mail, but then, you just hit `g' and you can handle both the
same)

> 1) Should I use fetchmail to get my POP3 email rather than
>    emacs?

I use the mail-sources variable and tell it POP3.  I then have
Gnus split my mail to whatever folders based on regular
expressions.

> 2) Can I sort my email into a different folder depending on the
> server it came from? (may depend on answer to 1 guess)

Sure, if you want.  I like Topics though.  I have newsgroups and
mail groups both geographically together, based on the "topics"
they might discuss, and I don't care where the mail or news came
from.  I find that to be really seemless.

> 3) Can I select which SMTP server I want to use when I send
> email? (and also chose my .sig file)

Yes, but I believe you need a little elisp.  It will not be a
problem.  There are plenty of snippets to help you out.

> 4) Does anyone have any updates to the instructions in the NT
> Emacs FAQ?

For email, read the Gnus info section, "Getting Started Reading Mail"

--
Galen deForest Boyer