Re: [h-e-w] Transient Mark....

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Transient Mark....
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:30:36 -0500

I think it's because of (setq next-line-add-newlines t).  If I set the mark
with C-SPC and C-n down to the end of the buffer, the region remains
highlighted for me.  But I have (setq next-line-add-newlines nil).

I have the same problem you have with end-of-buffer -- if I use the End key
instead of many C-n, the minibuffer reports Mark set, and I lose
highlighting.  Both end-of-buffer and next-line (C-n) are defined in
simple.el.  The docs for end-of-buffer suggest using (goto-char (point-max))
in Lisp programs since end-of-buffer "clobbers" the mark.

The docs for next-line suggest using (forward-line) in a Lisp program.

Try this.  Set the mark and then do C-u 999 M-x forward-line to get to the
end of the buffer.  Does this do what you want?  If so, maybe you can rebind
C-n to forward-line.

HTH

Raymond Zeitler
http://www.phonon.com