Re: [h-e-w] very slow kbd-macro

From: Theodore Jump
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] very slow kbd-macro
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:35:34 -0600

> I've noticed since some pretest for 21 that depending upon what you do in
> the macro it will execute wildly slower (for example, while it is my first
This could explain it. However i tried it: pressing the keys for the two
incremental searches by hand was still faster with the visual feedback,
than calling the macro.... which doesn't  give the visual feedback.....
so less done, and still slower!

Emacs is still going through most of the motions of the interactive stuff (like maybe it's still doing the pauses and such that isearch induces) even though you don't see it.

I would also wonder if you have some type of font-lock enabled in the buffers you're working on, that can have a HUGE impact. I have some batch-processing lisp macros that explicitly turn off all buffer "prettification" during execution because of the speed difference of file load and modification. Try doing your macro stuff in a fundamental-mode buffer with font-lock disabled, just for comparison.

Ciao,
-T