Re: [h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?

From: Jonathan Epstein
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:48:14 -0500

At 05:33 PM 10/31/01, Jason Rumney wrote:
Jonathan Epstein <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use an application (Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5) which insists upon
> entering certain characters using an old DOS trick of holding down
> the Alt key and then pressing a numeric key combination on the
> numeric keypad (not to be confused with the numbers at the top of a
> regular keyboard).  For example, Alt-0034 is used for a double-quote
> (").  Try this in WordPad ... it works.
>
> Is it possible to either:
>
> (a) get Emacs to entirely stay out of the way of the Alt key?  I
> realize that things such as:
>
>    (setq w32-pass-alt-to-system t)
>
> are a step in the right direction, but are insufficient
>
> OR
>
> (b) write some Elisp to correctly interpret these keystroke combinations?

(b) should be doable. Especially if the number of characters you need
to enter this way is small.

I am not sure exactly what your requirements are though, perhaps Cntl-Q
already offers what you need.

Thanks for your response, Jason. The requirements are that no additional keystrokes such as Cntl-Q can be issued. Emacs must be able to detect the pressing and holding of the Alt-Key, the numeric keyboard's 0034 keys, and the release of the Alt-Key.

I don't know how to detect these events, but would appreciate input from anyone who does.

Clarifications: I'm running W2K service pack 1. Unfortunately, it appears that the left-alt key is being using by NaturallySpeaking ... this is unfortunate because apparently Emacs's control of the right-alt key can be overridden by some Emacs runtime settings, but I see no apparent way to do this for the left-alt key.

Thanks for any ideas.

- Jonathan