[h-e-w] Problem building 21.1 under Cygwin on W98

From: Charles Curley
Subject: [h-e-w] Problem building 21.1 under Cygwin on W98
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:28:25 -0700

I was able to build Emacs 21.1 under Cygwin and W98. I ran the entire
thing from BASH. I had two glitches, the first of which I solved by
linking /bin/sh.exe to /usr/bin/bash. Then I followed the instructions
in /nt/INSTALL. configure.bat said to run "gmake", which got me
nowhere, the second glitch. I just ran "make" and got the gnu make
(it was the only one on the computer, so it had better be the correct
one :-).

I have not run "make install". However, when I run the compiled
program, it runs, and I get the following message in *messages*:

(C:\CYGWIN\USR\SRC\EMACS-21.1\SRC\OO-SPD\I386\EMACS.EXE) [2 times]
x-complement-fontset-spec: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

The presence or lack of .emacs is not relevant, so I conjecture that
this is occurring before Emacs even tries to load .emacs.

Suggestions?

BTW, I compiled 21.1 on Linux, and it appears to have some
pathological problems. Once I take the time to sort out the paths, I
think I might like playing around with it. But I'm not wild about all
the menus being moved.

--

                -- C^2

The world's most effective anti-virus software: Linux.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley