RE: [h-e-w] emacs 21.1 problem with -nw

From: Barry Roberts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] emacs 21.1 problem with -nw
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:03:57 -0600

I understand that.  Are you saying that M-v scrolls your console windows?  It doesn't mine.  The problem is that if I set the screen buffer to 2000 lines, and the window size to 80 lines in the properties for a console window, then run emacs -nw, emacs is 2000 lines tall, not 80 lines.  So the only way to scroll through the 2000 lines is with the scroll bar that windows puts on the console window.

Having the 2000 lines is nice for an interactive shell so I can scroll back and see things that have scrolled off.  But it makes it setting EDITOR to 'emacs -nw' pretty useless.  For now the only workaround I have is to always 'start emacs -nw' in a new console where the screen buffer and the window size match, or make sure that emacs never runs in text mode.

Barry Roberts