Re: [h-e-w] compiling emacs before dumping?

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] compiling emacs before dumping?
Date: 17 Oct 2001 13:31:18 +0100

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:13:08 +0200, "Geert Ribbers" <address@hidden> said:

> Hi.
>
> I try to dump a new emacs executable with extra libraries loaded (for faster
> starting in slow network-situations).
> Could it be that I have to compile a new temacs 1st?
> Since after loading a few libraries temacs crashes.
> In the documentation I find about Pure Storage:
>
> "Pure storage is not expandable; a fixed amount is
> allocated when Emacs is compiled, and if that is not sufficient for the
> preloaded libraries, `temacs' crashes.  If that happens, you must
> increase the compilation parameter PURESIZE in the file
> `src/puresize.h'.  This normally won't happen unless you try to
> preload additional libraries or add features to the standard ones."
>
> And that's exactly what I try to do.
>
> If so: I don't have a c-compiler, can I use gcc to compile temacs?
> Or, even better (I am not familiar with c-compiling): does anyone have a
> temacs.exe with bigger storage parameters?
>
> Thanks, Geert Ribbers

Hi Geert,

I assume you have already found the "undumped" tarball, and are using
that to undump.  (There is a known problem that an already dumped
emacs.exe cannot dump itself again.)

If indeed PURESIZE is the problem, then yes you will need to recompile
Emacs with that value increased.  You can compile Emacs with gcc - I
made an "alpha" release of that for 20.7, and it is supported as
standard in 21.1 (due for release quite soon).

Look in

  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/mingw-trial/

for the version of 20.7 that compiles with GCC + Mingw.

Look at src/puresize.h for values to change.

AndrewI