Re: [h-e-w] Re: printing on W2K Pro

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: printing on W2K Pro
Date: 13 Oct 2001 10:52:56 +0100

address@hidden (Alexander G. Burchell) writes:

> Case handling on NT is rather strange and I know little about it.
> There is at least one relevant variable:
>
>         w32-downcase-file-names

This only affects how the file names are displayed.

> So presumably (expand-file-name "FOO.C") would result in "foo.c".
> What I don't understand is that NT should ignore case by default when
> finding files.  Perhaps someone who knows more could comment on this.

It does ignore case.

> Also, having gotten use to typing file names in lower case on NT, I
> find myself handicapped when I use emacs on UNIX.  Does anyone know if
> there is a way to expand file names in "case-fold" mode for UNIX?

You can set `completion-ignore-case' to t, which will let tab
completion be case-insensitive. But I do not think there is a way to
make `expand-file-name' be case-insensitive, as that would cause
problems when two files with the same name but different case both
existed in the same directory.

--
Jason Rumney