help-debbugs

bug#14811: Debbugs <at> spam countermeasure inadequate

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: bug#14811: Debbugs <at> spam countermeasure inadequate
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:55:55 -0400

I've now fully removed the (non debbugs.gnu.org) email addresses on
the _static_ bug web-pages (eg http://debbugs.gnu.org/db/14/14811.html).
These are the only pages that get indexed by search engines.

BTW, a study that one person did (admittedly, it's 5 years old now)
suggests that methods like " <at> " were >~ 99% effective at the time:

http://techblog.tilllate.com/2008/07/20/ten-methods-to-obfuscate-e-mail-addresses-compared/

Personally, I think it still strikes the right balance between
inconveniencing legitimate users and spam harvesters.

I am considering inserting a "debbugs-remove" component (or somesuch) to
all non-debbugs addresses on the dynamic (ie, cgi) bug web pages, but am
not sure it is worth the effort. Those pages are not indexed by search
engines, and they contain links to the mbox files, which I am absolutely
not going to obfuscate.