help-cgicc

RE: Single attributes

From: Stephen F. Booth
Subject: RE: Single attributes
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:56:22 -0400

Hi Quintin,

> A number of HTML attributes only require a name, and not a name =
"value"
> pair.
> Notably the selected, checked and readonly tags when dealing with
forms.
> The
> current behaviour if you set any of these is to get the following
output
> in your
> HTML <input type="text" name="txtBox" value="My Text"
readonly="readonly"
> />.
>
> This appears to work, esp for the checked and selected tags of radio
> buttons/
> check boxes and select options. But I don't think this is quite what
was
> intended.

This is actually the way things are supposed to work.  When I redid the
html generation classes a little while ago, I decided to make the output
more xhtml-compliant.  As part of that, all attribute values are quoted,
all html elements print out in lower case, and as you point out,
minimized elements are prohibited.  Here is an excerpt from
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

4.5 Attribute Minimization
XML does not support attribute minimization. Attribute-value pairs must
be written in full. Attribute names such as compact and checked cannot
occur in elements without their value being specified.

CORRECT: unminimized attributes

<dl compact="compact">

INCORRECT: minimized attributes

<dl compact>