help-bash

Building for release or debug

From: Robert E. Griffith
Subject: Building for release or debug
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:42:01 -0400

Does the bash build system support building optimized for debug and release?  How would I invoke them?

I find that doing "./configure; make" with no parameters builds bash with debug symbols but in the debugger (gdb inside atom editor with the dbg-gdb plugin), many interesting variables are marked "optimized out" so I wonder if I can build the project differently to make it more conducive to debugging.

On a different but related note, when I build my loadable builtin against the headers and loadables/makefile.inc from the ubuntu bash-builtin package. I still get symbols in my .so. Is there an option that I can specify to make that will build a release version?

--BobG