help-bash

Re: Identifying incompatible change while bash upgrade

From: Aviraj Cj (acj)
Subject: Re: Identifying incompatible change while bash upgrade
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 05:14:14 +0000

>On 18/02/21, 12:58 AM, "Chet Ramey" <chet.ramey@case.edu> wrote:
>
>>On 2/17/21 12:35 PM, Aviraj Cj (acj) via wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was trying to migrate old shell scripts (running on bash-4.2) to run on
>> bash 5, I am seeing failures due to Compatibility related changes…
>>
>> One option which I am following is to set BASH_COMPAT to older working
>> version for those scripts but since final goal is to migrate the script to
>> run on latest version is there an script or tool available which will
>> identify this incompatible change before running…
>
>Look at the COMPAT file from the release you're using and see if any of the
>changes covered by the compatibility options are relevant.
>
>https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/COMPAT

Correct I am referring this file for list of compatible changes... Currently, I
am looking into the old scripts manually to check for incompatible change but
not able to catch all of them because some of compatible changes are
dynamic/run time which are causing functionality impact... Is there a better
way to approach this to find the incompatible changes statically before running
those scripts..