help-bash

Re: environment variables for external hard drives

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: environment variables for external hard drives
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 18:24:00 -0400

On 5/5/20 5:55 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't find a convention of environment variables for external hard
> drives. (For example, $TMPDIR is for a temp directory.) I am wondering
> if there is a commonly used environment variable for paths to external
> hard drives. Thanks.

What would an environment variable say about an external hard drive? The
fact that it's plugged into a hardware socket?

This information should be best conveyed by specialized tools such as
lsusb, lshw, lspci, or for mounted devices, findmnt. Unless there is
some universal goal you think would be served by an environment
variable, similar to the way $TMPDIR is not "for a temp directory", but
rather "the many applications in need of storing temporary files should
do so here"?

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User