help-awacs

Re: First steps, lots of questions

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: First steps, lots of questions
Date: 15 Mar 2001 15:54:59 +0100

Hi Tobias,

 || On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:14:27 +0100
 || Tobias Hunger <address@hidden> wrote:

 th> I'm new to AWACS. It sounds incredible useful to me,

:-) Yeah, I agree. *g*

 th> so I decided to give it a try and see what it can do.

 th> I toyed around a bit and came up with the following little file:
 th> # Name important files:
 th> I::Logfile MESSAGES (/var/log/messages);
 th> O::Logfile TMPOUT (/tmp/output);
 th> #
 th> # Copy everything from MESSAGES to TMPOUT:
 th> Cmd::Copy (MESSAGES:TMPOUT);

 th> (Yes I know that I could have used I::Logfile (...): O::Logfile
 th> (...); :-)

Okay.

 th> The problem I face is that /tmp/output stays either empty or
 th> contains the same line over and over again. Is this a known bug?

Well. If I remember the old command syntax correctly, "COPY" will
duplicate the input and not remove it from the element it has taken it
from. So the first line to enter it will always remain the first line
in its buffer - stuff entered afterwards will get put in BEHIND that
line.

So changing the Copy to a Move should solve THAT problem.

 th> Where can I get the development code for AWACS?

Nowhere right now. The company funding me for development died due to
the VC crisis (especially sad since their operative business went
great), so the code is between two models right now with lots of
duplicate code. With my notes I'd be able to find my way back in and
finish the shift, but I fear noone else would. This is the major
problem right now.

On top of this, I wasn't quick enough to dodge the bullet, so now I'm
organizing the FSF Europe - not exactly a small task. :)

 th> Where can I find the archive of this ML (and/or awacs-devel)?

I don't think it's archived - or at least it didn't use to be. That
isn't TOO sad as it has been *very* quiet in here.

 th> Does someone have a working config-file?

Wasn't there an example in the distribution?

Depending on money & time resource planning for the future, I would
absolutely love to pick up work on GNU AWACS again... but this depends
on things I have no control over (unfortunately).

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                       <address@hidden>