health

Re: [Health] My GNU Health merely crashes...

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: [Health] My GNU Health merely crashes...
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 07:14:14 -0400

Hullo again Luis,

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 4:10 AM Luis Falcon <falcon@gnuhealth.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:28:19 -0400
> Kevin Cole <dc.loco@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed via pip:
> >
> > $ sudo pip install PySide2
>
> Is better to avoid installing system-wide (root user) when using
> pip, Things can get quite messy. I would remove it (pip --unistall
> PySide2) and try the package.

Pop!_OS 20.04 is "mostly" Ubuntu 20.04, and both are LTS.
Unfortunately the LTS releases haven't caught up with PySide2. I
thought about adding a PPA for a more current PySide2, but didn't find
one that I trusted. So, I went to Debian Bullseye and tried my luck
there. That wanted to break all sorts of package dependencies. So, I
thought, "the hell with it. I'll use a pip instead." I'll take one
last stab at finding a "recommended" PPA for a more current PySide2.
But I may just give up and wait until April 2022, which is when the
next LTS release will be available.

> Try cleaning $HOME/.cache (some users had issues with ~/.cache and core
> dumps on KDE).

No luck cleaning the cache. The same error remains after

$ rm -rf .cache/*

> What desktop environment are you using?

Pop!_OS is, as I mentioned "mostly" Ubuntu. The biggest difference is
that it uses System76's very own "Pop Desktop" environment. (It
prefers gdm for setting the display manager, and seems to use Gnome
apps more than anything else. So "Gnome-like", I guess.)