health

Re: [Health] Installing GNU Health on Trisquel 8

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] Installing GNU Health on Trisquel 8
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 11:37:07 +0100

Hi Ricardo !

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:57:13 +0200
Ricardo Morte Ferrer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> here I send you the asnwer from the Trisquel forum, so that we can
> find the better way to install GNU Health on Trisquel 8:
>
> The problem is that including pip would violate the GNU Free System
> Distribution Guidelines,[1]

This is a new policy on Trisquel. I did install GNU Health on previous
Trisquel versions and it was a supported platform for GNU Health.

> > "I guess you can always install it. All the python packages that GNU
> > Health uses are Libre, so no worries on that.
>
> Installing it should be easy. Packages in the PyPi repository use
> setuptools, so they are not hard to build. After verifying that a PyPi
> package and all of its dependencies are free, you can install it
> manually. See my comment here[2] and onpon4's correction.

The GNU Health installer contains the list of the requires python
packages:

    # Python packages
    local PIP_LXML="lxml"
    local PIP_RELATORIO="relatorio"
    local PIP_WRAPT="wrapt"
    local PIP_WERKZEUG="werkzeug"
    local PIP_DATEUTIL="python-dateutil"
    local PIP_PSYCOPG2="psycopg2"
    local PIP_PYTZ="pytz"
    local PIP_LDAP="python-ldap"
    local PIP_VOBJECT="vobject"
    local PIP_QRCODE="qrcode"
    local PIP_PYBARCODE="python-barcode"
    local PIP_SIX="six"
    local PIP_PILLOW="Pillow"
    local PIP_CALDAV="caldav"
    local PIP_POLIB="polib"
    local PIP_SQL="python-sql"
    local PIP_STDNUM="python-stdnum"
    local PIP_SIMPLEEVAL="simpleeval"
    local PIP_CONFIGPARSER="configparser"
    local PIP_WEBDAV3="pywebdav3-gnuhealth"
    local PIP_BCRYPT="bcrypt"
    local PIP_NUMPY="numpy"
    local PIP_UNOCONV="unoconv"

The GH installer places these packages locally (under $HOME/.local)

You could of course encapsulate all packages and their
dependencies on .deb package for GNU Health that includes all the
dependencies.

> > PS: You should talk to the Trisquel team, and ask them to include
> > pip.The argument of not including pip because there might be some
> > non-free software on pypi, IMHO, is way restrictive".
>
> It is inaccurate to say that "there *might* be some non-free software
> on pypi," because we know for a fact that there is non-free software
> on PyPi.[3]

True. I didn't express myself correctly. I tried to say that GNU
Health uses Python packages that are Libre, and that we make sure that
we pick libre packages from pypi.

Best
Luis