hdm

[hdm] the-hdm-plan-II - another attempt at getting things in order

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [hdm] the-hdm-plan-II - another attempt at getting things in order
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 16:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

%%% the-hdm-plan-II.tex -- plan of the work --take 2

%% Copyright (C) 2005 Joe Corneli <address@hidden>

%% Time-stamp: <2006-05-04 15:17:43 jcorneli>

%% You can copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the
%% terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPL); or the GNU
%% Free Documentation License Version 1.2 (FDL), with no Invariant
%% Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts; or any
%% later version of either of these licenses that is published by the
%% Free Software Foundation.

%% You should have received text versions of the GPL and FDL along
%% with this file.  In addition, a copy of the FDL can be found in our
%% report "The HDM Project" (which this document is part of), in the
%% section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".  If you have not
%% received a copy of these licenses, write to the Free Software
%% Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
%% 02110-1301 USA

%% DISCLAIMER: The contents of this file are is distributed in the
%% hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
%% the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
%% PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

%%% Commentary:

%%% Code:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{beton}
\usepackage{concmath}

\usepackage{simplemargins}
\setleftmargin{1in}
\setrightmargin{1in}
\settopmargin{1.5in}
\setbottommargin{.5in}

\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage[mathscr]{euscript}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsopn}
\usepackage{amstext}
\usepackage{amsthm}

\parindent = 1.2em

\theoremstyle{definition}
\newtheorem{prop}{Proposition}
\newtheorem{nota}{Note}[section]
\newtheorem{rem}{Editorial Remark}[section]
\newtheorem{lem}{Lemma}
\newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}
\newtheorem{cor}{Corollary}
\newtheorem{con}{Conjecture}

\usepackage{verbatim}
\makeatletter
\newenvironment{lisp}
  address@hidden@font
   address@hidden
   \verbatim}
  {\endverbatim
  address@hidden@font}
\makeatother

% What I would really like to do would be to make this
% text invisible.
\makeatletter
\newenvironment{hlisp}
  address@hidden@font
   address@hidden
   \verbatim}
  {\endverbatim
  address@hidden@font}
\makeatother

\makeatletter
\newenvironment{idea}
  address@hidden@font

   address@hidden
   \verbatim}
  {\endverbatim
  address@hidden@font}
\makeatother

\newenvironment{notate}[1]
  {\begin{nota}[{\bf {\em #1}}]}%
  {\end{nota}}

\newenvironment{note}[1]
  {\begin{nota}[{\bf {\em #1}}]}%
  {\end{nota}}

\newenvironment{edit}[1]
  {\begin{rem}[{\bf {\em #1}}]\sl}%
  {\normalfont\end{rem}}

\newcommand{\comm}[1]{
\sf \fbox{\begin{minipage}{.75\textwidth}#1\end{minipage}} \normalfont}

\newcommand{\inp}[1]{\sl#1\normalfont}

\begin{document}

\title{The HDM Plan (Take 2)}

\author{Joseph Corneli\thanks{The content of this file is available
    under your choice of the GNU Free Documentation License (FDL) and
    the GNU General Public License (GPL). If the FDL is selected, be
    advised that this document has no Invariant Sections, no
    Front-Cover Texts, and and no Back-Cover Texts.}}

\date{\today\ (draft)}

\maketitle

\abstract{Second attempt at a strategic plan.}

\section{Overview}

\begin{notate}{Projects}
Parsing, Arxana, Proving, and various integration of these.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Goals}
Have a problem-solving computer program that can do graduate-level
math problems.  Be able to do such problems myself.  Make a wage
working on these things (or something else non-boring) at some point.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Activities}
Writing, programming, talking to others about work, reading and
studying, seeking out new collaborations and new information,
fundraising.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Subjects}
Mathematics, computer science, computational linguistics, philosophy,
various mathematical and social sciences, psychology.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Realistic assessments}
We must a have clear understanding of our goals, abilities, and other
features of the landscape, and `map' this understanding over various
timeframes to come up or check our predictions.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Followthrough}
We don't want a situation that looks good only on paper.  We must
maintain workflow as well as motivation.
\end{notate}

\section{Practicalities}

\begin{notate}{Writing}
Writing can be prospective, retrospective, and/or analytical.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Planning}
Planning should take place within each timeframe, probably to
contribute to planning the next timeframe of the same type, and
perhaps also to contribute to the plan for the next higher-level
timeframe (or possibly even higher levels).  For example, at the end
of the day you might make some adjustments both your plan for the next
day and for the next week.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Heuristic}
I think it is beneficial to have a task-of-the-day scheduled for each
day, and to have such a schedule put together each fortnight.  If a
certain task is not completed within the alloted day (or sequence of
days), it should be deferred to the next fortnightly planning session,
when it may (or may not) be added to the next plan.

In addition, it is a good idea to spend some time each week looking
globally through the problems that are being worked on, as a means of
stirring things up and avoiding overfocus on the task-of-the-day (or
flavor of the hour).
\end{notate}

\appendix

\section{Timeframes}

\begin{notate}{Day}
Food, water, exercise, sleep, hygiene, ``work'', entertainment, human
interaction, mental health breaks, cooking, practicing music, various
other praxis (e.g. problem solving, creative writing), cleaning.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Week}
Going to my job according to schedule, dumpstering, music nights
($2\times$), weekend library and liquor store closures, most people's
weekly ``pulse'' (which is to say biorhythm forcing, whether for good
or for bad), laundry, other weekly cleaning tasks.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Fortnight}
Paycheck delivered.  It would be nice to have a fortnightly-or-so
planning session, either alone or as a team, or both (as if our
``work'' was itself a job of sorts).
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Month}
Rent, full moon and all that entails, bills, certain cultural
activities (e.g. LispNYC meeting).
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Year}
Seasons, taxes, quarterly meetings for PlanetMath ($4\times$, of
course), Summers of Code and other annual funding opportunities,
academic enrollment possibilities, certain bills (e.g. Friend of the
Library).
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Decade}
Encoding basic structures, patterns, and knowledge by hand; work on
parsing and proving test-cases; start proving harder things; tackle
some bigger ``real'' problems; find applications of our work that
people will pay for (whether these are applications of the tools in
business, or re-deployments for use in basic education, or something
else); extended work in AI.
\end{notate}

\begin{notate}{Millennium}
To quote Timothy Leary: ``Space Migration, Intelligence Increase, and
Life Extension.''
\end{notate}

\end{document}