h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Dropping out of science

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Dropping out of science
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:03:47 +0200

Yes, you can definitely say so. The problem is that I have been mostly caring about scientific software, and scientific software does not carry scientific reputation. This means on the one hand that I have no perspective in science, as I have not produced enough publications, and furthermore that my boss was permanently dissatisfied with me, as I was not doing "real science".

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:28:34AM +0200, Olaf Lenz wrote:
> Hi H5MD crew!
>
> I want to announce that I will drop out of science on October 1st. I will
> start working in a company, so I won't be able to contribute to h5md.
> Ironically, one of the reasons why I am leaving science is that I wasn't
> able to contribute to h5md (and comparable projects) as much as I would
> have liked to.
>
> I hope that I have injected enough of h5md into my working group so that it
> will be used in the future. In any case, the h5md VMD plugin will
> experience some further improvements during the next weeks, and it will
> still be available. Also, the authors of the plugin, Jonas and Sascha, will
> be around some more time, and I guess that they will use h5md.
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Your contributions will be missed! Are you somehow a victim of the Big Data
Brain Drain? (big data, whatever that is, does not apply here. But in general,
computer-aware scientists in other fields of science suffer a similar
situation)?
http://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2013/10/26/big-data-brain-drain/

Best wishes,

Pierre

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Allmandring 3, D-70569 Stuttgart