h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Finalization of units module

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Finalization of units module
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:57:42 +0100

Am 13.01.2014, 22:39 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

Following external pressure to publish or perish, I revised the units
module by defining the "SI" unit system to encompass SI base units,
SI derived units, and SI prefixes [1].

[1] http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochure/general.html

I also updated the test case in lua-units [2].

[2] http://git.colberg.org/lua-units/tree/examples/h5md.lua

The solution will make everybody unhappy. For the use of non-SI units,
the unit attribute can still be written using a scalar prefix and an
SI unit. Alternatively, the values can be converted to an SI unit
using the cv_convert_* functions [3] of the udunits2 library.

[3] http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-2.2.2/doc/udunits/udunits2lib.html#Value-Conversion

Peter

Hi Peter,

The BIPM brochure is a good basis, probably the best one. Thanks for implementing it and for cleaning up my list! I think that the current implementation of "SI strict" makes many people happy and indeed deserves to be called version 1.0.

We don't need it now, but just to remember: The brochure also says in ch. 4 what the "extended" set of units is, including natural units and CGS system. (It even resolves the conflict between "hour" and Planck's constant by using \hbar instead of h.) For abstract unit systems, it would be sufficient to specify the physical dimension instead of a "unit", which could be done using the symbols in http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochure/chapter1/1-3.html.

Felix