h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] fix remaining imprecisions - particle position

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] fix remaining imprecisions - particle position
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:17:59 +0100

Am 10.01.2014, 14:05 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:15:10PM +0100, Felix Höfling wrote:
Am 10.01.2014, 11:14 Uhr, schrieb Konrad Hinsen
<address@hidden>:

>Felix Höfling writes:
>

> > Originally, `offset` together with `edges` was meant to provide
>the range
> > of folded particle positions. As of Olaf's pointing at the box
>skin, this
> > use has become meaningless. As nobody is using `offset` AFAIK,
>we may drop
> > it in favour of `minimum` and `maximum` which provide a
>guarantee on the
> > range of particle positions. What do you think?
>
>Sounds good in principle, but again the devil is in the details.
>
>1) Having both "minimum" and "maximum" is redundant, as the difference
>   must be "edge".

It's not fully redundant as Olaf pointed out, because the difference may
exceed the edge length by a skin width.

>2) Any such specification should be optional, for trajectories that
>   don't make any promises.

Of course. I think the minimum/maximum fields would best go to the
particles/.../position group, not in the box.

>3) In simulation of small-molecule liquids, it is common to apply
> periodic boundary conditions to the centers of mass of the molecules,
>   rather than to individual atoms. The guarantee on the positions thus
>   applies to something else than the stored coordinates.
>
>   It's OK with me to say that no minimum/maximum should be specified
>   in this situation, but I think it's worth saying so explicitly to
>   avoid misunderstandings.

Sounds like a similar situation as with the skin due to lazy updates of
the image vectors. I suggest to skip the minimum/maximum fields in this
case, or to specify a (not necessarily tight) bounding box of actual atom
positions.

I have removed the offset from the box specification and have added a
suggestion for minimum/maximum, which I called bounding_box. (Since a
minimum value would have to be taken by any of the positions, strictly
speaking.)

I am very reluctant to include bounding_box:
- There seems to be very little motivation to use it.
- It is in the spec but not used by anyone.
- It is not in direct relation to a physical quantity.
- Currently, it is written as valid for all times, which makes it less
  appealing.
- If I were to use the information, I would check myself anyway in my code. This
  view seems shared by Olaf [1].

With respect to "offset", my view is that it serves to define the absolute boundaries of the box [2]. It is not "essential" as the edges is sufficient to
define the physical properties of the box it is a a physical quantity
nonetheless. Pragmatically, I use it to define my simulation box (i.e.
xmin,ymin,zmin in my software).

I understand that this use might not seems interesting to others and we can drop
it (as in the current state of the repository).

In the absence of protests, I'll remove bounding_box.

I wanted to react to offset/bounding_box, I'll take a look now at the
interpretation of "image" :-)

Best,

Pierre

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.simulation.h5md.user/500/focus=524 [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.simulation.h5md.user/309/focus=458

Hi Pierre,

I was not aware that you're actually using the offset. I've got the impression from the mailing list that this piece of information is implementation-dependent and is typically not stored in data files. You may revert the respective commit if you feel that the field should be present.

Concerning the bounding box: it is a promise made to, e.g., visualisation software to choose the initial viewport without scanning the whole(!) trajectory. Particles outside the box (violating the promise) could silently be dropped. If it turns out that such a bounding box is not of interest for anybody please remove it.

I made these changes to the repository to reflect the state of the discussion. Otherwise, the suggestions on the list often remain without feedback and fade away as time goes by. I hope that we can really finalise version 1.0 without further delay.

Best,

Felix