h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] units module

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] units module
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:41:29 -0400

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 09:40:26PM +0200, Pierre de Buyl wrote:
> Ok, I tried to print f["DS1"][:] but then UTF8 does not display in a IPython
> terminal.

Yeah, the display on the prompt, and with h5dump, is not so nice…

> Apart from "Å", what use do you have for UTF8 in units?

The UTF-8 encoding is not a big issue, I only want to make sure
that the possibility of using unicode symbols is not forgotten.
Further UTF-8 symbols include π, Ω, µ, and °, which is everything
in udunits2 excluding units not accepted for use with the SI.

The H5MD units module can provide a complete table, so implementers
can copy&paste these few non-ASCII symbols when needed.

Peter