h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Three-level versioning schemes

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Three-level versioning schemes
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:24:46 +0200

Thanks for the link to semantic versioning. Sounds pretty reasonable.
http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html

Felix

Am 11.10.2013, 19:47 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:05:15AM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
I understand that the second and third digits are for branches and
tags, respectively. But what is the first digit for? Minor changes
increment the tag, and major changes the branch. Will we ever reach
H5MD 2.x with a three-level scheme?

I revisited the topic of version numbers while preparing releases of
some programs, and now understand the purpose of the major version
number part of a three-level scheme.

Please see H5MD commit ba4d217, which re-introduces a major version
number for both the specification and modules, to allow signaling
backwards-incompatible changes to the file structure.

The specification hopefully remains at major version 1 indefinitely.
For H5MD modules it appears useful to allow rampant breakage [1], but
indicate when doing so by incrementing the major version number.

Peter

[1] Python style… ;-P